Saturday, January 30, 2010

How to use phrasal verbs

I find listening to the radio helps me pick up new vocabulary really easily.When the programme is finished I look up any words I can remember just to make sure I understand them – then I try them out on my friends to see if they can understand them.
Using phrasal verbs
A phrasal verbs (or multi-word verb) is a combination of a verb and one or two prepositions which, when they go together, create a new meaning for the verb. They are a common feature of everyday speech and, unfortunately, can be difficult to learn because a) there are so many and b) some phrasal verbs have more than one meaning. However, there are strategies which can help you.
Identifying phrasal verbs
Look at the following sentences. Remember the definition of phrasal verb above. Which of these sentences contains a phrasal verb?
  • It was a lovely night.We looked up at the beautiful moonlit sky.
  • John looked up when he heard his father come in.
  • When I find a word I don’t know I look it up in my dictionary.

Can you think of another way of explaining the meaning of the phrasal verb ‘look up’?

Identifying phrasal verbs: To look up something means to search for information about it, usually in a book (for example, a dictionary or an encyclopaedia). In the other sentences, the word up shows us the direction in which people looked.

Working out the meaning of phrasal verbs
As with all new vocabulary, you can often deduce the meaning of a phrasal verb by looking at the context in which it is used. Try to replace the phrasal verbs in the passage with a verb from the list which has a similar meaning.
My alarm clock went off at five o’clock. I got up and put on my clothes. After a quick breakfast, I set off for work. It was going to be a long day!

arose - rang suddenly and loudly - dressed - began a journey

Try to read the passage with these verbs replacing the phrasal verbs. What difference do these verbs make to the tone of the passage?

Working out the meaning: Usually, to find the meaning of a phrasal verb we can try to substitute a more formal, longer verb with the same meaning. My alarm clock rang suddenly and loudly at five o’clock. I arose and dressed. After a quick breakfast, I began my journey to work. It was going to be a long day!
By using phrasal verbs instead of more formal verbs or phrases, we make the passage sound more conversational. The tone of the passage suits the topic.

Learning tip When learning phrasal verbs, try to learn groups which can go together to make a story. Learning lists of verbs which take the preposition ‘up’ or all of the prepositions which the verb ‘put’ can take can be effective as a revision exercise, but this may not help you remember the meaning. Creating a story using five or six phrasal verbs will help make the meaning more memorable.
Learning task
The following phrasal verbs are all connected with learning English. Match the halves of the sentences together.

1. When I’m listening to the radio, I listen a) it out in conversation.
2. I also pick b) over the vocabulary and grammar I’ve learnt.
3. Every evening, I go c) out for new words and expressions.
4. When I’ve learnt a new word I try d) up new words from listening to music.
5. I always try to work e) on well in English.
6. I’m really getting f) out the meaning of new words from the context they are in.

Now match the phrasal verbs above with the more formal verbs or phrases which mean the same (below).
a) pay attention
b) review
c) learn without studying
d) deduce
e) experiment with
f) make progress
Learning task answers
1. When I’m listening to the radio, I listen
c) out for new words and expressions.
2. I also pick
d) up new words from listening to music.
3. Every evening, I go
b) over the vocabulary and grammar I’ve learnt.
4. When I’ve learnt a new word I try
a) it out in conversation.
5. I always try to work
f) out the meaning of a word from the context.
6. I’m really getting
e) on well in English.
Now match the phrasal verbs above with the more formal verbs or phrases which mean the same (below).
a) pay attention ----------> to listen out (for) new words
b) review -----------------> to go over new vocabulary
c) learn without studying -> to pick up new words
d) deduce -----------------> to work out the meaning
e) experiment with --------> to try out the word
f) make progress ----------> to get on with English

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Learning Guide | by TNB