Thursday, September 3, 2009

How to compare and contrast things

Sometimes I find studying grammar difficult. It’s not as hard as speaking English, but I really find reading and learning vocabulary easier. I think I could be more efficient in the way I study. For example, I could set aside an hour a night to go over what I’ve been learning. But, if I do this in the evening I know it will be less effective because I’m tired.

Comparing and contrasting
When making comparisons in English, there are a few patterns which can help make what you describe more interesting. You may have learnt that, to make a comparison between two things, you should use the formula adjective + -er + than. However, this is only one way of showing the differences between two things or two ideas.

More or less?

Look at the passage at the top of the page. Complete the following sentences using the information from the passage.

Reading is easier than…

Studying early in the day is more effective than…

I could be more efficient than…

Complete the following ‘rules’ for making comparative adjectives:

  1. Adjectives with one syllable (e.g. tall)…
  2. Adjectives with three or more syllables (e.g. efficient)…
  3. Adjectives preceded by ‘less’…
  4. What happens to adjectives with two syllables (e.g. pretty, lovely)?

(Not) as ... as ...
Reading is not as difficult as speaking.

  1. Which is easier – reading or speaking?
    My vocabulary is as good as my grammar.
  2. Which is better – my vocabulary or my grammar?


Learning tip The ‘formulas’ for making comparisons given in the guidelines are easy to follow. But remember that some adjectives are irregular. Two good examples are the adjectives good and bad.

good               better               best
bad                 worse               worst


Keep a separate section in your vocabulary book for noting down irregular comparative adjectives. Also, remember that three-letter adjectives usually double the last letter when they make a comparative,

e.g. hot / hotter, wet / wetter, big / bigger

Learning task
Some of the sentences below have errors in them and some are correct. Find and correct the errors.

  1. In winter, London is colder as Paris.
  2. I don’t speak English as well than I write it.
  3. Learning English alone is interesting but learning English by radio is more good.
  4. It is better to listen to the radio in the evenings. The signal is clearer then.
  5. Studying grammar is less difficult than learning vocabulary.
  6. I’d like to visit Britain, but it is more expensive to travel there.
  7. This exercise isn’t difficult as it seemed at the beginning.
  8. My family enjoys listening to BBC World Service. It’s funner than our local radio stations.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Learning Guide | by TNB