Saturday, January 30, 2010

How to use future forms correctly

I’d like to have a job which involves using English. I’m going to university next year to study English, and after that I might try to get a job in a company which works with people abroad. In the meantime, I’ll continue to listen to This blog Service to improve my listening skills.
The forms of ‘the future’
We use many different forms to talk about the future in English. Surprisingly, the word ‘will’ is not used as often as you might think when you talk about future plans and intentions – and the word ‘shall’ is almost never heard in this context.
Talking about future plans
Read the passage below and try to answer these questions:
When and why do we use the present continuous (be + -ing)?
When and why do we use be + going to + infinitive?
When and why do we use might?
I’m going to have a really good weekend this weekend. First of all, I’m going to finish reading a wonderful book which I started last week – I really can’t wait to get to the end of the story. Then, on Saturday, I’m meeting an old friend and we’re going to a new art exhibition. I don’t know about Sunday yet. I might go to the cinema but I’m not sure what’s on. But, in the evening, I’m definitely going to listen to This blog Service!
Present continuous: meeting an old friend / going to a new art exhibition. These events have been arranged by the speaker and involve another person. Often when we talk about future arrangements we use this tense.
be + going to + infinitive: I’m going to have a good weekend / going to finish reading my book / going to listen to BBC World Service. These are plans which the speaker has made for the weekend. Often when we talk about plans made before the moment of speaking.
might + infinitive: I might go to the cinema …
When you haven’t decided what to do before you begin to speak, it is usual to use ‘might’. This shows that we are undecided.

Learning tip Using will a lot in spoken English can make you sound over-formal. When speaking with friends about plans for the future – whether it’s very soon or not – we more often use be + going to + infinitive.
Learning task
Complete the task below the verb in the correct future form. Use present continuous, be + going to + infinitive or might + infinitive.
  1. What ___________ (you / do) this evening?
    I don’t know. I ___________ (go) to the cinema.
  2. What time ___________ (you / leave) for the airport this evening?
    About six o’clock. I ___________ (meet) Jim there at 7.00.
  3. I ______________(make) dinner soon. What would you like to eat?
  4. ___________ (you / listen) to the radio this evening?
  5. Anna ___________ (come) for dinner tomorrow so I ___________ (cook) something special.

Answers
  1. What are you doing / are you going to do this evening?
    I don’t know. I might go to the cinema.
  2. What time are you leaving for the airport this evening?
    About six o’clock. I’m meeting Jim there at 7.00.
  3. I’m going to make dinner soon. What would you like to eat?
  4. Are you going to listen to the radio this evening?
  5. Anna is coming for dinner tomorrow so I’m going to cook something special.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Learning Guide | by TNB